500 S. Fruitridge Avenue
Deming Park was planned in concert with the development of Ohio Boulevard and was intended as a rural retreat from the city, especially as a driving destination for picnics. Landscape architect George Kessler recommended the site to the city, which acquired the land in 1919. The wooded, rolling topography, which contrasts with the city’s level residential areas, was easily adapted to a park whose emphasis was on the passive enjoyment of nature. The Isaac Walton League created a series of ponds in the 1930s for fishing (two of which survive). Park-goers today enjoy drives lined with mature trees, a number of historic picnic pavilions, and the Clark-Landsbaum Holly Arboretum with 167 cultivars of Ilex.