1600 N. Main Street
Although Garvin’s site was used as a park as early as 1901, it was not until the City of Evansville hired Myron West, a landscape architect with Chicago Park Builders, that a formal plan was prepared. Its development took place from 1916 to 1919, concurrent with Bosse Stadium and baseball field. When the park was to be enlarged in 1927, Harland Bartholomew, a well respected planner from St. Louis, proposed a new plan in conjunction with a citywide park system connected by “pleasure drives.” The principal feature of Garvin Park is Evansmeer Lake and its 1.5-mile encircling recreational trail, built in 2004. A double allée of catalpa trees lines the entrance to the park. The park’s trees are now at maturity as envisioned for full canopy coverage.