401 S. Second Street
(812) 882-1776, ext. 110
In the 1920s, prior to the 150th anniversary of the capture of Fort Sackville from the British in 1779, citizens of Vincennes became interested in honoring local hero George Rogers Clark with a memorial near the new Lincoln Memorial Bridge planned to cross the Wabash River. The fort’s site was then in oblivion under a grain elevator, mills, and a warehouse, all razed for the memorial. The large-scale granite monument — 90 feet wide at its base — was completed with federal funds in 1933. It was complemented by a landscaped, terraced park designed by architect William E. Parsons of Chicago, who had planned the U.S. Botanical Gardens. The site was transferred to the National Park Service in 1966.