213 Fifth Street
Located on a steep, terraced hillside that overlooks the Ohio River, Hillforest estate epitomizes a mid- 19th-century Romantic era landscape. In 1853 the first owner, Thomas Gaff, hired prominent architect Isaiah Rogers to design this distinctive Italianate house. Great attention was paid to creating formal circulation paths, both pedestrian and vehicular, that climb to the house from the terminus of Aurora’s Main Street. Although some site features such as rustic bridges, gardens and arbors have disappeared, the house still enjoys extensive views of the scenic river valley that was so crucial to early travel and commerce in the U.S. The National Park Service honored Hillforest with National Historic Landmark status in 1992.