Home » Gardens and Landscape » Historic New Harmony Labyrinth

Historic New Harmony Labyrinth

Historic New Harmony Labyrinth

Historic New Harmony Labyrinth

South Main Street
New Harmony
(800) 231-2168
Historic New Harmony

Map

Few people can resist the lure of a labyrinth, especially one whose concentric paths wind among sculpted privet hedges. Although the present-day labyrinth is a 1939 recreation, it was based on the original Harmonist labyrinth and is located adjacent to the original site. George Rapp, leader of the early-19th-century utopian society and founder of New Harmony, created the maze as a place of contemplation and meditation. The original was planted with shrubs, vines and flowering plants and featured a circular log house at its center. The route was not an easy one, symbolizing life’s difficult path. Ross Lockridge, author of the novel Raintree County, wrote a book about the labyrinth for the New Harmony Memorial Commission.

Webmaster - MargaretDesign.com