1401 Lake Avenue
Lakeside Park’s origins go back to 1890 with Lakeside Park Addition, Ft. Wayne’s first suburb. However, concerted park development began in 1912 and continued for the next 20 years. Located to the north of the Maumee River and east of the St. Joseph River, the plan for the 26-acre park capitalized on the natural topography for the creation of lagoons and a sunken garden (restored in 2006). As the park’s name implies, its system of interconnected waterways made it a popular destination year-round for active recreation, such as ice skating and boating. Lakeside Park is perhaps best known today for its Rose Garden, which displays 2,000 plants and at least 150 varieties.