808 W. Washington Street
Around 1907 industrialist J.D. Oliver worked with designer Alice Neale to plan a formal garden and pergola to complement his imposing home, Copshaholm, designed by New York architect Charles Alonzo Rich in 1895. Twenty years later, Julia King redesigned the sunken garden. Today the gardens are being restored to reflect the year 1915, when the Oliver family used their gardens extensively for social gatherings. The grassy mound was replanted with trees to fulfill Oliver’s vision. The massively built, long, vine-covered brick pergola shelters the path from the house to the formal gardens. A garden tea house, tennis lawn and ornate stone fountain enhance the 2.5-acre residential site.