Indiana University Campus
In 1883 Indiana University purchased a 20-acre tract of land known as Dunn’s Woods for its new campus. Today much of the character of the native Southern Indiana woodland survives in its role as the quadrangle for a cluster of historic campus buildings called The Old Crescent. The preservation of the woods was not accidental but rather a deliberate choice in the campus master plan of 1936, by Percival Gallagher of Olmsted Brothers. By siting new buildings on Third Street and Indiana Avenue, a quadrangle was created, preserving the central open space. One of Indiana’s most favorite campus structures, the 1908 Rose Well House, is at a hub of crisscrossing pedestrian pathways.